Wednesday, June 3, 2009

The Hunt for the Perfect Preschool

While spending the past month in NC I've been spending some time researching preschools in our new town. The Methodist church we plan to attend has a preschool program and I thought it would be great to put Jacob there. They use the A Bekah curriculumn which a friend had recommended. I called and sounded like it was a go. Well, last week while in AL I called again just to speak with on of the directors and I told that registration started in March and that's when they filled up. Plus, because of Jacob's birthday in Mid-Nov. they won't put him with 4 year olds. Grrrrr! I explained that we are new to the area and if she had any other recommendations and I put him on the waiting list. No way in heck am I homeschooling!

Yesterday I finally got through to 2 other places. The first has their 4 yr class filled and they were willing to put him in there if they has a spot. They charge for the waiting list. No thanks.

The next and last choice is an actual Christian private school K4-12th grade. Tuition is lower than I expected +, they will accept Jacob into their early K-4 class +, he'll go 5 days a week 8-11:30 +, they use the A Bekah curriculumn +. We initially thought of putting him in 3 days since he just did 4 months of 2 days in Italy. So me being the overprotective mommy didn't want to see my baby go off 5 mornings a week. But, you have to cut the cord sometime right? Tim and my mom think Jacob will do fine. I called again this morning and found out about the early K-4 class so that eased my concerns of him being a late birthday and a boy not being able to keep up with kids that have been 4 for almost 6 months. My concern came from my own elementary experience. I am a late August baby and was always that youngest kid in my class. It really showed in elementary when I was always doing my own thing and missing recess to finish my work. By 4th grade I got my act together. The only other issues I experienced in High School when all my friends turned 16 way before me so they were all driving and I was not. My sister had similar issues as an October baby. Really have to watch those school cut off dates and b-days.

The woman assurred me we can complete the paperwork in July when we get there so I'm keeping my fingers crossed.

No comments: