Thursday, October 9, 2008

What a day!

Yesterday was my 1st day volunteering at the Elem. school. Jacob slept while I got myself together, which was great! That never happens anymore. I leave the house at 7:40, get in the car, turn the key and nothing. I try again. . .nothing. Ahhhh! Why on a day I have to be somewhere at a certain time does my car not start? We just changed the battery about 2 months ago so I was sure this was not the problem. I went back in the house and woke up Tim and Jacob because now they had to bring me to the school. Our Alfa is a stick and I don't drive stick. I tried twice and didn't like it. Now I see why I should know how. Anyway they dropped me off at 8:05.

I found the office and the clinic and had a short wait while the nurse finished up a meeting. I quickly found out the School nursing is not a sit down job! I didn't expect it to be. My taste of school nursing in nursing school required us to be at the school for only 4 hours once a week. Plus, we had a teaching project to do so that took most of our time planning that. Without going into details, yesterday we were busy all day between our screenings and patients the day flew by. It is very different from floor nursing which is what I am used to. So, I am going to try and go in once a week if it works out with child care, etc. It was great to be doing something I went to school for and haven't done in several years. I felt like I used my brain in ways I haven't in a while. Now, I will admit I did have a touch of guilt in the morning as I walked up to the office, even though Jacob was going to be home with Tim all day.

After school, Tim and Jacob met me for a late lunch at Applebee's we finished some errands and headed home. I can see at the moment that if I worked M-F from 7:30-2:30 how it's a pretty good schedule esp. with little ones because there is still time for playing and catching up before dinner and bed routine.

I had a break in the middle of my day. I used this time to do some things that needed my attention but of course the people I needed were not available. At least I got some good exercise running from one end of the base to the other.

Car Update: Now today, we brought my car to the local Sicilian mechanic who did a stint in NY. I think that is why I like him since I am from northern NJ (I say northern since there is a big difference in southern vs. northern NJ) . It was the battery in my car that was bad. That was good news since I was planning on it being the starter or alternater. $$$$ parts if you have to replace them and certainly something I don't want to replace from here since we would have to order the parts from the states and have them sent here. Takes forever. I am happy I have wheels again!

1 comment:

Lindsay said...

How exciting.. I could completely see you working in a school! What great hours. I bet Jacob likes having a little extra man-bonding ;) hehehe. See you soon! I will host a play date really soon--