Thursday, March 26, 2009

Finally, A City!

Hi everyone. It's been a busy 2 weeks. I'll catch you up on our trip to Germany in the upcoming days. The last 48 hours have been rather bizzarre and frankly I feel blind sided with everything. We never received the message that we were waiting on. Tim called GA on Tuesday and finally had someone forward the questioneer. We sent it back immediately. Apparently it had to be filled out within 10 days or they would pick for us. Then last night Tim was checking a message board he looks at that pertains to his job and someone contacted him that had heard we were going to "Jasper, Alabama" Yeah, that's what I said to. . . nice way to find out?! So today Tim did some calling to find out what the heck was going on. Georgia confirmed that we are going to Jasper. Even though we know nothing of the state that is where the opening is. Ugh! I have been rather distressed about this for the past 24 hours. I thought Alabama would be the last place we would wind up since we have no ties to it. I've spent all afternoon searching real estate websites trying to figure out where to live, schools, and what is around our new city. The town is about 1 hour from Birmingham. From what I have found, Birmingham has all the mainstream stores, restaurants and other things I have been missing for the past 3 years. They also have a Children's Hospital there. I really need to live near this city since I plan to go back to work at least part-time once we get settled. The cost of living seems to be relatively low. Trying to find a house about 10-12 years old at a decent price is a little more challenging in this area compared to what I had been looking for in GA. I'm also tying to look at commute times for Tim and me. However, things are starting to look a little brighter with all of it. I do have 2 friends about 1-1.5 hours from our new city so that is a perk and they both have little boys Jacob's age. Tim is looking forward to our move and new city. We will be over 7hours by car from my parents. I'm dissappointed by this but I'll get over it eventually. It's still better than being on another continent and 15hours away via plane.

So, that's the latest in our moving saga. In the end, I'm relieved to finally know where we are going.

No comments: